Being Punjabi, Cholay is one of those home comfort dishes that I used to love growing up. Easy to make, it's a great dish to eat on its on own or serve as a vegetarian option alongside other dishes at a dinner party. My take on this recipe is best served with naan and yoghurt as its a dry recipe.
SERVES: 6 TIME TO MAKE: 45 MINS
2 cans chickpeas
1 tablespoon of chopped ginger & garlic
1/2 tin chopped tomato
Salt to taste
1 spoon of brown sugar
3 medium red onions
3 medium tomatos
Fresh or frozen coriander
Oil to cook
1 packet of chana masala
1) Heat the oil and cook the ginger, garlic and chillies till they start to change colour and brown
2) Add the tinned tomatoes, salt and chickpeas to the pan
4) Add the chana masala and sugar
3) Cut the onions and tomatoes (longways)
4) Add the onions and tomatoes to the pan with the chickpeas
5) Cook for 30 mins on a medium heat
6) Once cooked add the frozen coriander and stir through
If using fresh coriander add and stir just before serving!
You can use canned chickpeas for this recipe to save time. If using a packet of dry chickpeas then don't forget to soak overnight.